Friday, June 1, 2012

Haiti in June?

Tonight I will be on a red eye flight to New York, and then on to Port Au Prince, Haiti.

It doesn't feel real.
Do I want to be there? YES
Is it odd that no one else from "my team" is going? Definitely

Why?
I've joined an amazing bay area team, the leader Sandi, I met a few years ago at a concert through a mutual friend of HaF. I've spent a lot of time with her on the phone, and we've emailed a great deal. But as far as spending time with the team, gas prices and work have made that almost impossible.

So I've come to the strange realization that I know the missionaries at Hands and Feet in Haiti, more than I know the team I'm going with. No one from our original team, or that we've previously taken, will be with me. The exception being Cameron; a full time missionary there, and a friend that I have known since my freshman year in high school.

It will definitely be a challenging week, which is what I was "signing up for". Being there, out of my comfort zone, with out Rebekah and Annie (our normal team leader, and her amazing wisdom filled roomie), with out Jesse, Jay, Adam, and Zac our normal group of guys, with out the jokes and memories we normally share. It's all going to be different.

"No expectations", that's what we try and remember every year, because it's Haiti, and thats just how it has to be.
Though I'm a bit anxious, I'm excited to see what God has in store for us on this new, different, unpredictable trip.

Please, if you get the chance, say a quick prayer for us, and that God will grow us, stretch us, and work through us, during this beautiful journey.



Philippians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment