Thursday, September 8, 2011

Working With A Karate Kid

Tonight at karate I had the pleasure of working with a 9 year old girl on sparring. It was her first time so all her gear felt funny, her glasses didn't quite fit with the helmet, and she was a little shy. However, even though she was so little and meek, I think I was more afraid of how to teach her, than she was of fighting someone twice her size. We went slowly, and I showed her some of the techniques that my teachers and peers have taught me.
After a while she warmed up to it and started having a little more fun. In a way, she is just like me when I started. I'm not completely into the "fighting spirit" yet, but it's a process. And tonight was definitely a process, all the direction I've heard over this past year while sparring seemed to come back like flash a flood, I suddenly related the exercises we do across the floor to sparring, which before was quite difficult for me. Tonight I began to see how she learns best, while learning this discipline/sport that I love more and more. It's funny, I sometimes forget how rewarding it is for both people when techniques of any trade are shared. All and all it was a great night and I can't wait until we can do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment